Monday 20 February 2012

Home Energy Controller

And this is my big new project: building a system that makes it easy to control and monitor the energy we use at home.

I have a strong interest in environmental conservation, and in energy use. I took part in Nesta/UKERC's Carbon Crucible program, and I had EPSRC funding for a feasibility study in analysis of energy monitoring data. The UK is trailing behind many other EU nations when it comes to real, implemented CO reductions (they just keep announcing things and then not realizing them). Taking action locally seems the only way to achieve at least some level of improvement.

The other reason for this project is that I want to build up some experience in embedded devices, play a bit more with Android, and after a long break get back to tinkering with electronics.

It all started with the Raspberry Pi excitement - $25 for a small but powerful Linux based computer - so many things one can do with it. Initially I was thinking about connecting to the systems in our car (I am currently working with an automotive engineering company),  but then I found the Open Energy Monitor page - offering open hardware and software for home energy monitoring. That seemed a much more useful project - and one where I could justify (to myself and the rest of the family) spending the time and money.

The current plan calls for three nodes: one in the kitchen, providing the user interface and replacing the ageing X10 based light control; one in the laundry controlling and metering the boiler, and one in the lobby metering gas, electricity, and quite a few temperatures indoors and outside. The overall bill of parts should hopefully stay bellow £250.



No comments:

Post a Comment