Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Kitchen Node

In the kitchen, we currently have an ageing X10 based system to switch three light circuits. When we moved in, all three lights were on the same circuit, so the kitchen was either dark or blazing. I couldn't reach all the wires to put in a new threeway switch, so I had to fit a remote system. It's not terribly robust, there is a noticeable delay between pressing the button and the light switching, and the switch itself is not very intuitive (I keep pressing the wrong buttons). 

The first task for the new system will therefore be to replace the X10 relays. The controller will be a USB jeenode. After looking at many different arduino based systems, my conclusion is that jeenodes offer the best design for my home system - they are very cheap, have radio built in, convenient connectors, and offer a small form factor.

I initially planned to use two Relay plugs for the three lights, but in the end decided to go for three relay nodes from a different supplier (Ciseco). My budget is very tight, and this option is a bit cheaper - they'll be wired straight to the jeenode's pins (using up two of the four connectors). I've also dropped the jeenode's carrier board and box - I'm sure I can find two plastic boxes, one for the node, and one for the relays to keep the high voltage bits separate.

On one of the remaining connectors, I'll connect a temperature sensor. The room board would be nice, but had to go for now;I can add that later when there's a bit more money.


No comments:

Post a Comment